Skip to main content

A Gilded Club

Today, in our standard Monday morning sales meeting, the topic of 'attitude' came up. I would wager that over half of ALL sales-team meetings include the idea of attitude. It has become a mantra.

But what do they mean by 'having a good attitude' ??? If the reiteration of the term 'attitude' underlies a desired goal, and that goal is to 'have a good one', then how would one define 'a good attitude'? Is it a variable? Does one's chosen field create the definition? Does the meaning differ between a florist and a police officer?

"Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - CLOSE!"....these words from Glengary Glen Ross (added for the movie, not a part of the original Mamet play) are a glimpse into an alternate definition of the word 'attitude'. Underlying the tirade from Alec Baldwin's character is one hint towards a different definition of 'attitude', and as Glengary Glen Ross is one of the holy sacraments of salesfolk we must understand it's message.

Simply put, the message could be "Do not fail." This creates a slight conundrum, but one that can be worked out.

Step 1.....accept that everyone will fail. Period. So how does one embrace the above message AND live in the real world? Accept that failure is a necessary and inevitable step towards success. Think of it as a ratio. As I mentioned in a previous post, my father considered "keeping the shit to shoe level" as an acceptable answer. Have a hate-filled tolerance for failure. Don't accept mediocrity, but don't beat yourself up too harshly (both being horrible wastes of your time).

Step 2......accept that some mass views of 'good attitude' may be in absolute opposition of what is required for you. I've often said that any description of a person that starts out as "He/She is so nice/sweet" can often be a massive detriment. Often one has to dismiss certain societal niceties to accomplish a goal. Think of a discussion between two people, one who has the cure for a certain poison, one who is dying from said poison. The antidote holder gets sidetracked with some anecdote during the explanation of the poison's cure. Would anyone judge the poisoned individual for urging the antidote holder with a slap to the head and a demand to get back to the task at hand?????

Step 3.....temper any necessary and unnecessary "slaps to the head" with genuine acts of kindness and altruism. I stress the genuine part. Find something that makes a positive impact on the world around, you that you can believe in, and get behind it.

At it's most extreme make your true-self a gilded club...a tool designed to bludgeon, but pretty around the edges.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
As I read on I started to see some similarities in me as you described the "Guiled Club". Many a day not only have I given YOU a slap on the head to help stay on task (knowing all the while we would be shooting shit in just a few minutes), but many of my few credited successes have come from being the absolute asshole in the room and driving everyone to succeed.

I guess what I am saying “I see the translation from sales to technology" and the importance of bringing out the "Club" (right after you call 911 for help) to make sure everyone is working towards a common goal.

Well said, job well done. Not bad for a Sales Puke! (For those who might read this, that was/is Johnny’s title in my address book for work)

Keep writing, it really suites you and hopefully one day, I can change your title.

Popular posts from this blog

Patron Saint of Salespeople

St. Lucia or St. Lucy is the Patron Saint of salespeople. Her story?? She stood strong in her faith and was persecuted because of it. She was hooked to a team of oxen, but could not be moved. She stood strong in her beliefs. Then she had her eyes cut out and was stabbed in the throat. Nice metaphor. In October, I missed my 'quota' for the first time this year. My 2010 personal goals allowed for this (plus one actually), but I was attempting to pitch the sales equivalent of a no-hitter. I missed. Even though I am still at roughly 150% YTD Even though I am guaranteed to go to President's Club (they've already listed it under 'taxable gift' on my last paystub). Even though I will almost assuredly be in the Top 10 nationwide..... Even though I have not been dragged away by a team of oxen, I still feel my eyes on a plate. But, I'm the one doing the gouging. There is no one as critical of me as me. Self-flagellation....works well with the Patron Saint/Catholic mot

One-Quarter Cleansing Cream

In 1955, the now legendary Ogilvy and Mather advertising firm began their campaign with Dove. "One-quarter cleansing cream" is, to this day, a corporate tag-line for Dove. The company was profitable in its very first year, an extreme rarity in personal-care products. Ogilvy and Mather stress their ad campaign and the Dove tag-line they created as being responsible for such success. Dove's ubiquitous tagline was created when David Ogilvy, the dynamic mind behind Ogilvy and Mather asked the question "Well, may I know the formula?" When the good people at Dove explained the ingredients, Mr. Ogilvy found out that the soap he was hired to advertise was only three-fourths soap. One-fourth of Dove soap was a compound with the generic name of "cleansing cream". Mr. Ogilvy saw this as a major differentiator and helped create a brand that became a household name. His trademark pursuit of an exceptional story to tell for his clients, created an approach that

A Glacier's Patience

I once thought in weeks and months. I grew to think in months and quarters. I have, lately, been viewing things in quarters and years. I am not sure when this really happened, but probably somewhere around my seventh anniversary with my current employer. There could be something to the seven-year-itch concept, but that is for a later post. So as this mindset sets in, I see a degree of patience that I never thought capable. Don't get me wrong, I will never have a tolerance for certain things (decisions contrary to one's own self interest, not understanding one's own self-interest, refusal to grow or develop, under/over estimating, certain forms of inefficiency, accepting an inherently broken process simply because it is process that is in place, etc, etc). But when things get complicated, when things change, I see it as inevitable. Too many things in the course of my career have ended up heading in one direction, only to land in another place entirely. John Lennon said &quo