Skip to main content

Patron Saint of Salespeople

St. Lucia or St. Lucy is the Patron Saint of salespeople. Her story??

She stood strong in her faith and was persecuted because of it. She was hooked to a team of oxen, but could not be moved. She stood strong in her beliefs.

Then she had her eyes cut out and was stabbed in the throat. Nice metaphor.

In October, I missed my 'quota' for the first time this year. My 2010 personal goals allowed for this (plus one actually), but I was attempting to pitch the sales equivalent of a no-hitter. I missed.

Even though I am still at roughly 150% YTD

Even though I am guaranteed to go to President's Club (they've already listed it under 'taxable gift' on my last paystub).

Even though I will almost assuredly be in the Top 10 nationwide.....

Even though I have not been dragged away by a team of oxen, I still feel my eyes on a plate. But, I'm the one doing the gouging. There is no one as critical of me as me. Self-flagellation....works well with the Patron Saint/Catholic motif.

Pray for us St. Lucy....pray for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One-Quarter Cleansing Cream

In 1955, the now legendary Ogilvy and Mather advertising firm began their campaign with Dove. "One-quarter cleansing cream" is, to this day, a corporate tag-line for Dove. The company was profitable in its very first year, an extreme rarity in personal-care products. Ogilvy and Mather stress their ad campaign and the Dove tag-line they created as being responsible for such success. Dove's ubiquitous tagline was created when David Ogilvy, the dynamic mind behind Ogilvy and Mather asked the question "Well, may I know the formula?" When the good people at Dove explained the ingredients, Mr. Ogilvy found out that the soap he was hired to advertise was only three-fourths soap. One-fourth of Dove soap was a compound with the generic name of "cleansing cream". Mr. Ogilvy saw this as a major differentiator and helped create a brand that became a household name. His trademark pursuit of an exceptional story to tell for his clients, created an approach that

Set the Table

There comes a transcendent time in the lives of many people when they are afforded an opportunity to stop, look around, and feel blessed. It's difficult to do every day. This last week, in light of the Nashville flood, it's much easier to count your blessings. Watching my friends and neighbors who have experienced loss of every degree, I find myself wondering "Why them, not me?" There aren't any answers. Over the past few years I have felt more and more need to give. Over the past week I have felt it even more. So I'm just going to say it....if you are a successful member of your community and you aren't trying to give back, you're an asshole. Locally, nationally, globally...pick 2 or 3 causes/charities/foundations and make a difference. Give to the Nashville Flood Relief. www.cfmt.org , www.hon.org , www.nashvilleredcross.org ; these are just a few. Your money, your time, preferably both. But don't stop there. Pick 1 or 2 more and set a goal for t